The most important fundamental cause of the mental health stigma is an absence of education and deception. Until you understand the full scope of mental illness, you can’t possibly work to end the stigma.
Here are some proofs that mental health is a foremost issue in the United States:
- 1 out of 4 adults suffers from a diagnosable mental illness.
- Over 200 conditions are categorized as mental illness.
- 1 out of 20 Americans has a serious mental illness, such as major depressions, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
- 50% of all mental health disorders show their first signs before a person reaches the age of 14.
- Those living with mental illness are over 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime.
- Only 38% of adults and 20% of children and adolescents with diagnosable mental health disorders get treatment.
- No one is immune to mental health problems.
- In 2011 over 8 million adults reported that they had both a mental and substance abuse disorder.
- 45% of people diagnosed with a single mental disorder actually meet the criteria for having 2 more disorders.
- Mental and substance abuse disorders that go untreated lead to more deaths compare to cancer and HIV/Aids.
- 75% of all mental health disorders show their first signs before a person reaches the age of 24.
- Although mental health disorders, do not have a single, definitive cause factor such as family history, life experience, and biological disposition may contribute to diagnosing.
Here at Mid Cities Psychiatry, we take mental illnesses seriously and offer mental health treatments for a wide range of disorders and issues. Contact us today to find out more about our specialized approach and unique philosophy. There is hope, and everyone deserves the chance to find an effective treatment to lead a healthy life.